sweetoven

Monday, July 25, 2005

The virtues of cooking

I was a piggy all weekend. I went home to see my parents (in KL) and had a variety of different foods ranging from wood fire pizza to chocolate molten cake to durian, mangosteens and rambutans to king prawn noodles to pork chops to vietnamese set lunch, to Penang hawker food. And i did no cooking and much to my dismay, forgot my camera and have only a bloated belly to prove my weekend indulgence (again! again!)

So my post for today is to share something i read in 'Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone' by Deborah Madison:

'Why Cook'?

'Practically speaking, if you're concerned about the quality of the food you eat, cooking should be of vital importance for it's the only way you can really know what you're eating. If money is a consideration, your home cooked food will cost less than eating out or buying packaged food. There's also satisfaction in taking responsibility for what we eat instead of turning it over to others. Further, cooking a meal produces immediate results, unlike many of our jobs. After a long day of routine work, many people find the creative act of cooking a relaxing change of pace that restores their energy. It's a gift to be able to cook for others - and it's wonderful to be cooked for.'


I thought i'd post this because this really hits home.
So now that i'm back in the safe confines of my own kitchen, i'm back on the roll to share my next adventure!

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home