sweetoven

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Yummy Cinammon Rolls


Cinnamon Rolls Posted by Hello

I love cinammon rolls but have never eaten them often because the ones that are sold at some 'cinammon bun' chains in Singapore are always far too sweet and gooey, leaving me feeling like i have swallowed a ton of butter and sugar.
But I couldn't resist trying to make them for the first time after seeing a picture of 'fresh out of oven' home made varieties by a fellow blogger who had taken the recipe from another blogger called Nic from Baking sheet( for recipe, go visit her link).

They look fantastic - and it was much easier to roll than i had envisioned. The recipe said that it would make 20 rolls. Not knowing if i would like the outcome, i halved the quantity and true enough, it made 10 perfect circular twirls.

My verdict - the texture of the bun was a bit drier that i would have liked. I'm not sure if it's because i added too much flour, or perhaps overkneaded it? I added a bit too much milk to the glaze, hence the glaze was not as 'visible' as it probably should have been, and as per a friend's advise (who ate it for dessert last night with a large dollop of vanilla ice cream) - i could probably have piled on more cinammon. I personally would like to try a variation with chocolate oozing out, and explore a way to make the bun more moist - certainly another attempt for another day.

5 Comments:

  • Hi Chin. I'm glad you got a chance to try these! If you want them to be more moist, you can use butter in the filling instead of milk. This will make a more caramel-y filling. I haven't had a problem with the bread itself being dry, but using oil instead of butter in the dough should help it to retain moisture. Hope that helps! (And no one ever went wrong by adding more cinnamon!)

    By Blogger Nic, at 8:51 PM  

  • hey Nic. thanks for the tips. You're right- butter instead of milk might be a better alternative (and sinful!) I also didn't brush on much milk, so that might have affected the 'moistness' of it some. oil also might be worth a try.
    I will certainl try these again and let you know of the outcome!

    By Blogger Chin Ru, at 2:49 AM  

  • Great, Chin. I'm sure you'll have a satisfyingly gooey roll in no time!

    By Blogger Nic, at 2:24 PM  

  • hey chin!

    your cinnamon buns looks good. they taste good don't they? Ya, nic's right, butter does make for a more caramel-like feeling. my aunt uses butter instead of milk when she makes hers. it's even tastier! haha and ya, cinnamon's awesome, so just sprinkle it generously! i know i did that for mine. i'm a sucker for cinnamon... lovely lovely. ahh... I can imagine the cinnamon-butter smell coming out from the oven.... man... i'm so gonna make those buns again soon.

    By Blogger the baker, at 10:39 PM  

  • Hi Chin Ru, wow! so much baking and cooking! I'm thinking of making some cinammon rolls for Shane's b'day party (about 25 pax), but I've never baked in my life. Is this hard for first timers? Is it advisable for me to attempt it??

    By Blogger testing123678, at 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home