sweetoven

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Honey Toasted Home Made Muesli!


Home Made Muesli Posted by Hello

This recipe was taken once again from 101cookbooks.com which the author had taken from Michele Crantston's 'The Essential Guide to the Kitchen'.

The picture posted on the net was seductive enough to make me want to make it immediately.
I don't normally eat much for breakfast - i have cultivated the habit of fruit and lots of water for breakfast. But the thought of home made muesli sounded yummy. Reading through the recipe, it didn't seem very difficult to make at all.

Instead of Slivered almonds (which i didn't have sitting in my kitchen) i substitued it with pistachios. Instead of dried apples, i used dried apricots and raisins instead.

The result was a toasty muesli PACKED with chewy crunchy goodness. I ate it the next morning with natural low fat yoghurt. Because it's got so many textures thrown into it, I have to say that all that chewing gave my jaw a bit of an ache, but it was certainly satisfying. It's probably not as healthy as it might want you to think - but it tasted so good I had it for lunch as well!

I am definitely going to make this again and again. plus it's a great gift for your breakfast eating friends!

Honey-toasted Fruit Muesli
Preheat the oven to 300°F.

Put 5 cups rolled oats into a large bowl. Add 1 cup unsalted sunflower seeds, 1 cup slivered almonds, 1 cup triticale (see above note), 1 cup shredded coconut and 2 tablespoons sesame seeds. Stir to combine.

Heat 3/4 cup honey and 4 tablespoons vegetable oil in a saucepan over low heat. Pour the warm honey mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until they are well coated.

Spread the mixture on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

Add 1/4 cup finely sliced dried apricots, 1/4 cup finely sliced dried apples and 1/4 cup finely sliced dried peaches (heidi note: I used dried papaya). Toss to combine. Store the muesli in an airtight container.

Makes 12 servings.

Kitchen: The Essential Guide to the Kitchen by Michele Cranston (Whitecap, September, 2005)

13 Comments:

  • Chin Ru,
    It was so nice to meet you tonight. Yep,...this nethead found your bakeblog. I love it! Great stuff. i am thoroughly impressed. May I be so blunt to say " you can cook and use my kitchen ANYTIME" :) the commute is afterall pretty short being we are 'neighbors' :)

    Keep in touch, have a great week and weekend :)

    Susan Olij

    By Blogger Susan Olij, at 8:03 AM  

  • lovely to meet you too! and yay- hopefully i have added another regular visitor to my blog (whom i'm convinced no one really bothers to read)
    Would be most happy to entertain with dinner sometime at mine - let's plan it soon. i'll be in touch!

    By Blogger Chin Ru, at 2:13 AM  

  • Mike and I just had some of your lovely muesli. Instead of eating them with milk, we had it as a snack - crunchy goodness compared to a bag of chips! If muesli can taste so good (always had the impression that good healthy stuff usually don't taste so nice), I'll have it for breakfast everyday!!! ;-)

    By Blogger Steffles, at 3:22 AM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:24 PM  

  • What a great site » »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:06 PM  

  • best regards, nice info film editing schools

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:47 PM  

  • Very nice site! » » »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:57 AM  

  • I agree with told all above. We can communicate on this theme.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:47 AM  

  • Where the world slides?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:49 AM  

  • Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say
    that I have truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.
    After all I'll be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!

    Feel free to surf to my weblog ... Sac Louis Vuitton Pas Cher

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:31 AM  

  • I feel this is among the so much important information for me.

    And i am glad reading your article. But want to remark on few common issues, The website taste is ideal, the articles is in point of fact excellent :
    D. Just right process, cheers

    Here is my web-site :: Michael Kors Canada

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:43 AM  

  • Hiya! I just wish to give a huge thumbs up for the great information
    you’ve gotten right here on this post. I shall be coming back to your
    blog for extra soon.

    Look at my web-site :: nose plastic surgery cost philippines

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:56 PM  

  • http://mckague.org/IndianapolisColts.html Rami Khalil, 42, of Mississauga also faces charges, including keeping a common bawdy house and living off the avails of prostitution. victoria secret catalog [url=http://mckague.org/DallasCowboys.html]DeMarcus Ware Jersey[/url]
    http://mckague.org/HoustonTexans.html I’m not certain why but this weblog is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this challenge or is it a issue on my end? I’ll check back later on and see if the issue still exists. nike air force 1 [url=http://www.mckague.org/NewYorkGiants.html]Justin Tuck Jersey[/url] http://www.mckague.org/NewEnglandPatriots.html Pour l’huile chaude, ajoutez l’ail haché et faire revenir jusqu’à ce que parfumé, en faisant focus de ne pas br?ler,low-cost isabel marant; retirer l’ail et réservez. Ajouter ce numéro à votre apport calorique et envisager de couper les grains de votre alimentation tout à fait. [url=http://mckague.org/CarolinaPanthers.html]Luke Kuechly Jersey[/url]
    http://mckague.org/DallasCowboys.html The upset performance is around the face, Yang Yi lightly from the Song shrug shoulders, like this and at will lie at sofa up, at the moment of she is just the shape of a neighbouring elder sister elder sister, completely have no at school that type of cold inconsiderate shape. beats by dre dre [url=http://www.mckague.org/NewYorkGiants.html]Justin Tuck Jersey[/url]

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home